Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Smiles All Around: Disneyland Paris

I never thought for my 32nd birthday I would request a trip to Disneyland Paris, but I guess I never really knew what it would be like to be a mom!  We had been discussing a trip to Disneyland Paris, but had been putting it off, so when Matt asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday, I decided we should go for it.  

On the way to Paris, we stopped and visited some long time friends who we hadn't seen for many years.  They were kind enough to let us stay with them in their lovely house in Mons, Belgium, so we were able to enjoy many drinks, yummy food and great company on the way to our destination.

We arrived in the Disneyland Paris complex Saturday night.  Next to the park are a number of stores and restaurants in an area called Disney Village.  We visited the Rainforest Cafe, which was a mad house, and had fajitas and a burger.  Service announcement to German and French "Mexican" Restaurants:  CURRY IS NOT AN INGREDIENT IN MEXICAN FOOD!  I cannot describe to you the utter disappointment and frustration I feel when I bite into a taco, burrito or fajita and taste curry.  It is a major pet peeve.  Seriously, why?  Why would you ever put curry in Mexican food?  Fortunately, since it was my birthday, my thoughtful husband choke down my curry-laced fajitas and I ate the remaining half of his burger, which was quite good.

After dinner, we stopped at one of the many Disney stores and got Kellan a set of Cars bath toys, which he was absolutely in love with.  I am not kidding, he was squealing with delight for a solid hour while he played with them when we got back to the hotel room.
Daddy's legs made a perfect ramp.
The next morning we had breakfast at the hotel and then headed immediately to the park, arriving right as they opened at ten.
Even as an adult, Disneyland is a pretty spectacular place.
They have decorated for Halloween, so there were lots of fun Disney themed pumpkins, jack-o-lanterns and ghosts.
Our first stop was Fantasyland and the Mad Hatter's Tea Cup ride.  It was a great start to the day because Kellan loved it.  Little did we know he would love pretty much everything!
We start spinning....
In a tea cup full of, say me and his sisters, Matt really likes to get the thing spinning, but he had to hold back with K on board.  Fortunately, Matt is an expert on the tea cups and found the perfect speed for Kellan.
Being the huge Alice in Wonderland fan that I am, I loved Alice's curious labyrinth.
Before we entered we were promptly informed we were late for a very important date.
Perhaps he was upset I was late for one of my 364 un-birthdays.  Fortunately I was still allowed to sit at the table of the Mad Hatter and the March Hare anyways.
View of the labyrinth from the Dumbo ride.
Once I stopped taking pictures of the outside of the labyrinth, we finally made it inside.  Kellan LOVED it!  Ramps, twists and turns, funny characters and dead ends.
We scurried past the caterpillar as he sang, "Ooohhhhh, U, E, I Aaayyy....U, E, I, Aaaayyyy, A, E, I, Oh, A-Yooouuuu."
And even found ourselves in a jolly caucus race!
Next was the Chesire Cat walk...
And some card soldiers painting roses red...
Finally we made it to the queen's castle, which had many winding staircases for K to navigate.
And a nice view from the top.
Next on the agenda was It's a Small World, which Kellan also loved.  There is just nothing like your child being surrounded by things that make him smile...
After "It's a Small World," we wandered a bit more and had some lunch.  Then we headed to Disney Studios to visit the Cars ride.  K didn't really get the whole ride concept.  After waiting in line for 20 minutes for this one, he got on the ride and when it started was clearly confused.  Right towards the end, he started enjoying himself and by then it was time to get off.  He was so confused!  He couldn't understand why we couldn't keep going!
So we let him stand outside and watch for a while longer...  Soon after, he fell asleep in the stroller for a nap.
While Kellan napped - for over two hours! - Matt and I decided to go to a Sports Bar in Disney Village for a beer.  But as Kellan napped longer and longer, we ended up having more like two and half beers and an espresso.  We were feeling pretty good as we headed back into the park....

We went back to Adventureland and went through the Swiss Family Robinson's Tree House, which Kellan loved because of all of the stairs and bridges.  Then we wove through a maze of caves in Skull Rock, which Kellan also loved.
Second to last was Pirate's of the Caribbean - Daddy's favorite ride.  We were a little nervous to take K, but he had a blast on this one as well!  It was too dark for pictures, but here is is after the ride checking out some of the jack-o-lanterns.
The last ride was the carousel and I have to say it was Kellan's favorite, which made it everyone's favorite.  He was literally joyous the entire time.
Last stop before heading back to the hotel was Annette's Diner for burgers, fries and a milkshake for Daddy and Kellan.  Perfect ending to a perfect day.
A successful 32nd birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment