Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Civilizing A Cave-Kid

I've been trying to do structured activities with K once or twice a day.  I know that the idea of doing a "structured" activity with a sixteen-month-old is somewhat laughable, but I figure I have to start somewhere.  In the book, "The Happiest Toddler on the Block", Harvey Karp, M.D., teaches parents "The Gentle Art of Civilizing a Toddler," and points out that
"Toddlers aren't mini-adults, or even mini-big kids.  They're more like uncivilized little cave-kids."              
 Really?  That hasn't been my experience at all.


Yes, "cave-kid," seems to be spot on.  Though in our family we prefer the less P.C. "belligerent, drunk midget" during times like these.  Of course, seconds before the photo above, he was happy as can be.  He is the sweetest little monster on the block.



One of the ways in which I am attempting to civilize my cave-kid is through structured activities.  We did an activity called "Cars and Colors" yesterday from The Toddler's Busy Book.  This is one activity out of one of a few great books I have with lots of ideas for keeping these sweet little monsters entertained.  This particular one was entertaining for all parties involved.


The "Cars and Colors" activity involves pieces of construction paper and toy cars of matching colors.  We used red, yellow and black construction paper to match with our red, yellow and black cars.  It's a fun way for the cave-kids to start learning colors.

I laid the construction paper pieces in a row and placed each of the cars on top of them.  K immediately began stomping on the construction paper.  I made a few attempts to engage him...

"Kellan....waaatch....we drive around the red car and then park it on the red piece of construction paper!  Waaaaatch..."
He continued to stomp on the construction paper, giggling maniacally.  He played with cars a little too, making a "Vroom" sound, which I love.  But then he started trying to feed the cars to the dog and I could see I was losing him.  I decided we should move from the carpet in the living room to the tile in the kitchen.  I laid the paper out on the kitchen floor and then zoomed the cars across the kitchen so they crashed into the cabinets.

Let me tell you, he LOVED this.

He would go get the car and bring it back to me.  I used this opportunity to "park" the car on the matching piece of construction paper and talk about the matching colors.  This was an improvisation of the actual activity, but it kept him happy for a good twenty minutes.  I considered it a success.






No comments:

Post a Comment